Friday, September 6, 2013

Sweet Treats and Memories


Disclaimer (and blog post): I got free candy!

Old habits die hard. I do understand this. One of my mothers’ habits was to go to the See’s Candy shop.

What kid would turn this down? I certainly never did. I am not sure I had a favorite confection. I think I liked the adventure of trial and error.

When my daughter was born my mother became a doting Gramma. 

As my daughter got older she would go for weekends off to Gramma and Grampas house.

I had told my parents that I was not giving the child candy or sweets. They thought this was nuts for some reason. I do not know why.

Anyone who knows anything about toddlers and preschoolers knows they do not need caffeine or sugar to be peppy. So I am not sure what all my parents were thinking.

For her very first birthday I baked a cake with about 1/3rd of the specified amount of sugar and substituted flavored cream cheese for frosting. It was tasty but not overly sweet and to my mind a splurge for the kiddo.

Time went on and I thought my parents had mellowed out worrying that I was depriving their grandchild. 

They did eventually come around to my way of thinking and acknowledge that my prohibition on desserts for the child had not hindered her and might actually have been a good idea.

It was some time later this little secret came out:
Gramma would take the child to See’s but get her only vanilla lollypops so that if she got messy with them the other darker colors would not stain her clothes and clue me in that she’d been having sweets.

Sneaky silly girls. 

My official ban lasted until my daughter was old enough to argue convincingly with me at around 4 or 5 with more of an understanding of the world around her and what she might be missing.

No telling what impact my parents had on this.

Grampa was rather open minded in his candy consumption. I am not sure he ever took me to See’s but I am sure we brought him home goodies from time to time.

Gramma likes a good pecan roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment