Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Home Cooked Double Date


It happened some time last year. 

The daughter and her best friend at the time both had new boyfriends. 

One had the bright idea for the boyfriends to meet each other. 

I did not know where this was going to take place.

What do you know it happened at my house.

I did not mind. My policy is that a boyfriend is not really real if the parents cannot meet him.

This meeting however turned into quite the event. Both girls were here having spent the night if I recall properly. Both boys were dropped off at some point during the day.

Now there was a gathering in my yard. 

Next the girls decided to make a big dinner for the guys. On the menu was fried chicken, mashed potatoes, water melon and ice coffee.

I made the drinks. The kids made everything else. Off they ran to the Mexican grocery store across the street. They picked up chicken drum sticks.

I tried to stay out of the way. The boys did too for a while and then they just could not resist the busy young ladies looking cute and making jokes.

My kitchen is not that big so I had to put a stop to all that non sense eventually. I sat in the living room with the young men as they waited through the afternoon. 

The boys were cute quiet and polite. They got a long well enough for strangers who had just met.
I knew the girls were delighted to be orchestrating a fun in house adventure.

Dinner was served and everyone ate heartily.

Dessert was light but it hit the spot. They were so full on soda and food they did not even enjoy the ice coffee. Instead a half of a game of Scrabble was played.
 
Finally one family arrived to pick up a young son and then another. I think it went well. 

I believe in parents and families seeking to get to know who their kids are hanging out with. I think welcoming suitors in to a family dinner is a perfect opportunity for this.

Remember to vote for us today before 4 pm PST. We can still make the Top 25. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. Having survived teenage daughter and her loves...I empathize! Takes me back and makes me laugh. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figure any of us who have been there on any side of these issues can appreciate our stories. Thank you. Glad it is resonating! hehehehe

      Delete
  2. I can imagine them waddling along with just enough energy for HALF a game of scrabble (braaaaap)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes...it was very low key. They went from lounging on the couch all intertwined... to sprawled out on the floor. I kept a watchful slightly worried eye on it all.

      Delete